Distance Learning & COVID-19 Updates
Bay Ridge Prep continues to respond to the COVID-19 pandemic and the restrictions currently in place in New York City to help fight the spread of the virus. The school has shifted to a distance learning model, effective March 30, 2020, so that our educational mission can continue. This will last until further notice. The school leadership team continues to make decisions in accordance with the guidance and directives issued by public health officials, the mayor of New York City and the governor of New York State. This page will be updated regularly as new information becomes available.
As of March 29, 2020 at 3:00 p.m.:
- Distance learning will likely last beyond April 20 and possibly the remainder of the school year. Click to read March 29 school-wide communication.
- Distance learning plans and schedules have been emailed directly to students and parents.
- Distance learning begins Monday, March 30. Click to read full statement.
- Bay Ridge Prep became aware on March 21 of a parent in our school community who tested positive for COVID-19. Please read our March 21 communication for information on how the school will handle future reporting.
- All school-sponsored student activities, including athletic practices and theater rehearsals, are suspended until further notice.
- Community Service graduation requirements have been waived for the Class of 2020. Seniors may continue volunteering at their service site if they feel comfortable doing so, though, it is not required for the remainder of the school year.
- Previous School-Wide Communication:
- March 29, 2020: Update from Heads of School
- March 21, 2020: Community Member Tests Positive for COVID-19
- March 16, 2020: Distance Learning until at least April 20
- March 12, 2020: Classes Canceled March 13; Prepare for Distance Learning
- March 10, 2020: COVID-19 Response Update
- March 6, 2020: Special Coronavirus FAQ Page
- March 2, 2020: Update on Coronavirus Preparation & Plans
- February 27, 2020: Update on Coronavirus
- February 3, 2020: Seasonal Flu & Coronavirus Information
- Are there any suspected cases at Bay Ridge Prep?
- What steps has Bay Ridge Prep taken to minimize the risk of transmission?
- How should I inform Bay Ridge Prep if I test positive for COVID-19?
- What are Bay Ridge Prep's policies on travel?
- What will the school do in the event of an extended closure?
- What kind of support are students receiving to address anxiety?
- What is the novel coronavirus COVID-19?
- What are symptoms of COVID-19?
- How is COVID-19 transmitted?
- What should I do if I develop symptoms or suspect exposure with regards to COVID-19?
- Is there a phone number I can call to report suspicion of COVID-19?
- Is there a vaccine or treatment for COVID-19?
- How can I protect myself and my community?
- Who can be tested for COVID-19?
COVID-19 Resources from Public Health Officials
Other COVID-19 Resources
- “How to Talk To Your Anxious Child About the Coronavirus” from Psychology Today
- “How to Have a Panic-Free Conversation With Your Kids About the Coronavirus” from The Week
- “How to Talk to Your Kids About the Coronavirus Outbreak” from TIME
- "Talking to Kids About the Coronavirus" from Child Mind Institute
- "Speaking Up Against Racism Around the New Coronavirus" from Teaching Tolerance